Medicare Supplement Medigap Insurance in Washington State

Medicare Supplement Medigap Insurance in Washington State



Welcome to the Medicare Insurance Information section of our website!

In this section of our website you will find information about Medicare Supplemental (Medigap Insurance) and Medicare Advantage health plans. Just click on the links for the information you need.

Medicare was never designed to pay all of your hospital and medical expenses. At American Senior Insurance Services, our primary focus is to help you select the Medicare insurance plan that best suited for your personal situation.

To receive a Medicare Supplement Insurance Quote, complete our simple quote request form or call us toll free in Washington at 1-800-562-1399.


Why do I Need a Medicare supplement or "Medigap" policy?

You may need to supplement your Medicare Health Insurance for one or more of the following reasons:

  • Medicare was never designed to pay all the health care costs of the elderly.
  • Medicare coverage has not kept pace with the rising costs of medical care.
  • Medicare cost-sharing provisions have risen steadily since 1965.
  • Medicare coverage has many gaps.
  • Medicare deductibles increase every year.

What are Medigap policies?

Medicare supplemental insurance policies sold by private insurance companies to fill "gaps" in Original Medicare Plan coverage. Except in Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, beneficiaries may choose from 10 standardized policies labeled Plan A through Plan J. Medigap policies work only with the Original Medicare Plan. In 2010, two new plans M and N will be available. Standardized Medigap policies pay the exact same benefits with all insurers.

When is Medicare's Initial Enrollment Period?

The Initial Enrollment Period begins 3 months before the month a beneficiary turns 65 and ends 3 months after the month the beneficiary turns 65. If beneficiaries wait until they are 65 or sign up during the last 3 months of the Initial Enrollment Period, their Medicare Part B start date will be delayed.

I am turning 65 but will continue to work. Should I sign up for Medicare Part B?

You may delay enrollment in Medicare Part B without penalty if you or your spouse continue to be actively employed and are covered by the employer's group health plan. In this situation you can enroll in Medicare Part B during a special eight-month enrollment period when you retire (whether you keep employer-sponsored retiree insurance coverage or not). The Social Security Administration determines when you are eligible to enroll in Medicare. Call their toll-free number, 800-772-1213, with your specific questions. Ask Social Security to send information about your situation in writing. Keep this information on file.

What is the Medigap open enrollment period?

The 6-month period that begins the first day of the month in which a beneficiary is both age 65 or older and enrolled in Medicare Part B. During this period you right to purchase a Medicare supplement policy is guaranteed.

What are guaranteed issue "Medigap Rights"?

They are a Medicare beneficiary's rights in certain situations in which insurance companies are required by law to sell a Medigap policy. In these situations an insurance company can't deny the beneficiary insurance coverage or place conditions on a policy, must cover all preexisting conditions, and can't charge more for a policy because of the beneficiary's past or present health problems. (See guide to health insurance for people with Medicare).

What is Medicare's "General Enrollment Period?"

If a beneficiary did not enroll in Part B when first eligible for Medicare, he or she may sign up during the General Enrollment Period that runs from January 1 through March 31 of each year (January 1 through June 30 in 2002). The cost of Part B may go up 10 percent for each 12-month period that the beneficiary could have had, but did not have, Part B. The beneficiary may have to pay this extra amount as long as he or she has Part B

What are Medicare Select plans?

A type of Medigap policy that may require a beneficiary to use hospitals and, in some cases, doctors within its network to be eligible for full benefits.

What are Medicare Advantage Plans?

Health Insurance plans which provides healthcare under contract with Medicare.  Generally, in return for lower cost, advantage plans require that you make co-payments when you go to the hospital or doctor. Additional charges may be incurred if you use a doctor or hospital outside the plans network. There are two types of Medicare Advantage plans available in many parts of the country: Medicare managed care plans and Private Fee-for-Service plans.

Will Medicare cover my medical expenses outside of the U.S.?

Persons living or traveling outside the United States usually cannot benefit from Medicare. This is because, generally speaking, the program provides protection against the cost of hospital and medical expenses incurred in the United States.

There are rare emergency cases where Medicare can pay for care for those who travel to Canada or Mexico. Also, Medicare can sometimes pay if a Canadian or Mexican hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can provide the care you need. If you get emergency treatment in a Canadian or Mexican hospital or if you live near one, ask someone who works at the hospital about Medicare coverage, or have the hospital help you contact the Medicare Intermediary.

Health insurance protection may be very important to anyone temporarily abroad who plans to return to the United States. If you plan to return to the United States shortly after you are eligible for the medical insurance program, you may wish to enroll during your first enrollment period. If you expect to be abroad for a longer period of time, you may wish to enroll during a later general enrollment period.

Which type of Medicare plan is best for me?

This depends on your personal preferences, needs and requirements. Consideration should be given to benefits, cost, your economic situation, and current health. An American Senior Medicare specialist can answer your questions and provide you with the information you need to make a wise healthcare choice.

I lost my Medicare Card. How do I get a new one?

Contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 to ask for a new card.

I recently moved. How do I change my address with Social Security and Medicare?

Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 to make your address change. If you are a Railroad Retiree call 1-800-808-0772.


Get a Quote on Medigap Insurance

Medicare Insurance Terms:

Medigap Plans
Medicare Supplement
Medicare Advantage
Medicare Insurance

Medicare Plans
Medigap Insurance
Medicare Supplement Insurance
Medicare PPO
Medicare HMO
Medicare Insurers

Medicare Part A
Medicare Part B
Medicare Part C
Medicare Part D
Medigap Plan F

Medicare Supplement Plans
Medicare Supplement Policies
Medicare Supplement Insurance
Medicare Supplement Plan F
Medicare Supplementary
Medicare Supplemental